1. No rude or offensive remarks will be tolerated. Comments such as these will be deleted and the offender banned immediately. No exceptions.
2. Please put all pictures behind cut tags. If you do not know how to cut, please visit journal's help section. It only takes a few moments.
3. That said, if you feel your post is lengthy, please put it behind a cut. If, in your post, you feel the need to describe things that may be disturbing to other viewers, you must place this behind a cut with a warning. This is a family community and therefore we have readers of all ages coming in and out.
5. No advertising unless you are an avid poster in the community and the link is related to the community topic.
4. The moderators of Wasting Effect have the right to change these rules at any time and delete any post they may find offensive to those with eating disorders or those coping with eating disorders. They also reserve the right to delete memberships. Currently Wasting Effect is open to everyone, however if an overabundance of spam and offensive material begins to show up, we will begin to restrict memberships.
Eating Disorder Statistics:
- The annual death rate associated with anorexia is more than 12 times higher than the annual death rate due to all other causes combined for females between 15 and 24 years old.
- Eating disorders are now the third most common chronic illness in adolescent girls.
- While the most common age of onset is between 14 and 25 years of age, eating disorders occur in a wide range of ages, and are increasingly seen in children as young as 10.
- The fear of being fat is so overwhelming that young girls have indicated in surveys that they are more afraid of becoming fat than they are of cancer, nuclear war or losing their parents.
- A survey of parents found that one in 10 would abort a child if they knew it had a genetic tendency to be fat.
Taken from Nedic.ca.